Friday, September 27, 2024

Students celebrated the release of new video games with a night of tournaments Friday.

About 160 people came to celebrate the releases of the games “Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood,” “Dungeon Defenders” and “Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit” in the Reitz Grand Ballroom.

Participants played the new games as well as classics like “Super Smash Bros. Melee.”

Sponsors, including EA Sports and Ubisoft, brought about eight TVs to show off their games, and some students brought their laptops to play computer games like “Starcraft II.”

“It’s entertainment value first and foremost,” said Kyle Kirwan, president of Gator Gaming, a UF video game club.

He said the event also allowed students to connect with other gamers and talk with employers.

Adrian Hayes-Santos, associate producer for Gainesville-based gaming company Trendy Entertainment, said he has more than 10 interns from UF.

He said gaming companies, especially local ones, often send representatives to show students that they can make a career out of a hobby.

“Gaming is still a growing industry,” he said.

Nathan Dolorfino, treasurer of Gator Gaming, said video games have the potential to tell stories in a way that combines art, psychology and entertainment.

“It is a place where I feel I can put my full passion,” he said.