Saturday, September 07, 2024

After months of deliberation, UF has been nominated as one of the most vegan-friendly colleges in the U.S.

The nomination was based on both the quality and quantity of vegan options available to students on campus.

It also took into account feedback from students on the receptiveness and creativity of dining staff.

Anyone can vote online at features.peta2.com/VeganColleges2010/ to get UF to the top spot. The first round of voting ends Monday.

There are three categories of schools: large schools, small schools and Canadian schools.

UF is competing against 31 large schools for peta2’s title of most vegan-friendly school.

Peta2 is the largest youth animal rights group in the world.

Winners will be announced Nov. 19.

Being a vegan is a lifestyle choice, said Anandani Maharaj, president of Animal Activists of Alachua County.

“If you do it right, you will feel cleaner inside,” she said.

There is also a group of students campaigning for vegan dining options on campus such as Meat-Free Mondays.

Winning the award would be one of many accolades that sets UF apart from the rest, said Jill Rodriguez, district market manager of Gator Dining Services.

“The recognition for our dining program impacts not only our students and faculty/staff, but our local partners as well,” Rodriguez said. “Both the Fresh Food Company and Gator Corner Dining Center offer a full-service vegan station that regularly features local vendors like Artie’s Tempeh.”