Thursday, September 19, 2024

Male a cappella group to give free food, ‘embody swag’

The Staff, UF’s all-male a cappella group, will be making its second appearance at Soulfest this year.

Soulfest is part of Homecoming week and will take place Sunday from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Reitz Union Colonnade and Amphitheater.

The free event will offer food and a talent showcase with organizations on campus competing to be Best in Show.

The Staff’s members are excited to debut their new song that they said is a chart-topping rap single. 

“This year’s performance is going to embody the meaning of ‘swag,’” said Jabari Taylor, group performance director.

The group went through a vigorous tryout session this year because Soulfest will be filmed and aired at a later time on WUFT-TV Channel 5.

The Staff began in 2008 with only two members and has since increased to 18 members.

The group has performed for multiple events including Talent Night for Gator Growl, where it placed second; International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella; and SoJam, an annual collegiate a cappella music festival held in North Carolina.