Friday, September 27, 2024

International students can share a cup of coffee and get to know American students during Global Coffee House.

The event, part of Gator Nights, takes place on Fridays at 6:30 p.m. on the first floor of the Reitz Union, next to the Career Resource Center.

The event is a revival of a program established as a place for international students to interact with American students.

In the past, different cultural groups would perform, but the new Global Coffee House will not have any performances.

When the event began, about 60 to 100 students attended every week.

When budgets were cut, however, the event was discontinued by the International Center only to be carried on by Gator Nights.

The focus shifted away from mingling, and when that happened, it wasn’t as successful in encouraging the interaction international students were looking for, said Debra Anderson, coordinator of the International Center for Student Services.

Much of the problem had to do with Orange & Brew’s set-up not being conducive to group interaction, and the performances didn’t help.

“Students would come in groups and sit at tables of four,” Anderson said. “It’s hard for an international student to join them when they are conscious of their English skills.”

By moving the event back to the Reitz, it may be easier for students to interact, which is the ultimate goal.

“What our students want is to interact with U.S. kids, ” Anderson said.