Friday, September 20, 2024

Pimpin’ is too easy for NFL agents, money runners

I’m about to pen a sentence previously unthinkable for a UF student who grew up in South Florida supporting the Dolphins.

(OK, I’m going to “type” it. Technology really gets in the way of that expression.)

Nick Saban is 100 percent right.

Yeah, I said it. I applaud the rigid stance he took against NFL agents and money runners at Southeastern Conference Media Days on Wednesday.

Not all agents, of course, just the ones who give active college players money and benefits before their amateur status and scholarships have worn off.

“I think if an agent does anything to affect the eligibility of a college football player, his license ought to be suspended for a year,” Saban said. “That’s the only way we’re going to stop what’s happening out there because it’s ridiculous and it’s entrapment of young people at a very difficult time in their life. And it’s very difficult for the institutions and NCAA to control it and it’s very unfair to college football.”

What good is it to punish the athlete’s former school by taking away wins or ruling the player retroactively ineligible?

Usually, by the time these situations come to light, the football player is long gone, going unpunished along with the agent who broke the rules, and often the law.

Florida coach Urban Meyer supported Saban.

“On a student-athlete losing a season of eligibility or games, that’s significant. That affects their livelihood, name, reputation, the school’s reputation,” Meyer said. “The other end of that has to be severely punished, as well.”

It is worth noting that Alabama and Florida are currently being investigated for players — Marcell Dareus and Maurkice Pouncey, respectively — taking improper benefits from an agent.

But this is not a case of sour grapes.

It would be a shame to dismiss what these coaches are saying simply because their schools might be perceived as “dirty programs.”

Orlando Sentinel columnist Mike Bianchi went as far as to say that, for his money, Alabama is the most consistent cheater in all of college football over the last 20 years.

I would argue that the vast majority of programs break the rules consistently, and it would be nearly impossible to single Alabama out simply because they have been caught the most often.

But even if that were true about Alabama, Saban made a point that should be heard and seriously considered by the NCAA, the NFL and the NFLPA.

Everyone will remember who won that vacated bowl game or returned Heisman regardless of whether or not it remains in the record books.

The only real way to stop this is to start punishing the agents, or even the players once they get to the NFL, perhaps suspending them for a few games?

“I don’t think it’s anything but greed that is creating it right now on behalf of the agents. Agents that do this, I hate to say this, but how are they any better than a pimp?” Saban asked rhetorically. 

As long postulated by many, and eventually confirmed by Dave Chappelle: Pimpin’ ain’t easy.

Though, these rule-breaking agents might beg to differ.