Saturday, September 28, 2024

Gainesville is catching World Cup fever.

When the Netherlands and Spain face off in the 2010 FIFA World Cup Final on Sunday, students will be able to watch the match either on or off campus.

The Reitz Union will host two viewing parties for the match, which kicks off at 2:30 p.m. One will be at the Orange and Brew, and the other showing will be at the second floor auditorium in the Reitz Union.

The second floor will have free popcorn and soda.

Mark Theunissen, a 25-year-old from Leiden, Netherlands, has been in Gainesville all summer for a tax law program at UF.

He has watched almost every Netherlands match at Mother’s Pub & Grill on University Avenue. Theunissen, who said he will wear a lion’s costume to support his team while watching the final match, plans to hang a Netherlands flag at the bar and watch the game with fellow Dutch fans.

According to Mother’s vice president, T.J. Goodman, World Cup followers have been blowing vuvuzelas throughout the games. On Sunday, he said, Mother’s is prepared to play the Spanish and Dutch national anthems.

“This is comparable to a Gator football game,” Goodman said.