Thursday, September 19, 2024

Since I graduate in about a week and a half, I think now is a good time to say goodbye. Some things you say goodbye to are things we’ll all need to say goodbye to. Farewell, increasing tuition. Some things you say goodbye to are special to my class. Farewell, Tim Tebow. And some things are more personal goodbyes. Farewell, Professor Shoaf. This is a mix of all of those.

I bid farewell to tests, quizzes, projects, papers, assignments, assessments and homework. Farewell to grades. Farewell to late night study-Starbucks, debates over which library is the best and those people who accidentally sing every few minutes while listening to their music.

Farewell to sunny afternoons hammocking on Plaza of the Americas. Farewell to mandatory $4 donations. Farewell to never meeting at the French fries despite what they told us at Preview. Farewell to Friday Foursquare and Turlington preachers, and freshmen who haven’t learned that logic and reasoning sometimes don’t change people’s minds but do make for a loud display. Farewell to chalk advertisements.

Farewell, spring allergies. This season was especially bad, and I don’t feel like I’m exaggerating at all now to tell people that I’m allergic to Gainesville.

Farewell, awesome Gator sports. I was here for the basketball-football double national championship win. Our track team seems to be pretty ballin’. We have great softball, soccer, volleyball and swimming and diving teams. Even our club ultimate frisbee team won a national championship a few years ago. Farewell, Gators.

Farewell, Fail Girl, Triangle Face, Salad Fingers — all the people we’ve given nicknames to who haven’t known it. Farewell to the conspicuous people on campus; student athletes with enough gear to clothe an African village; James the girl; my friend Patrick who rocks cerebral palsy like a champion; that really tall Indian girl; anyone in a sorority jacket.

Farewell, dorms, crappy roommates, incredible roommates. Farewell, $200 rent, space heaters in the winter, and a kitchen small enough to cook and clean at the same time if I was that talented. Farewell to eating out like every day (I blame it on my small kitchen). Farewell to $2 burgers at Mother’s on Wednesday evening, free Ben and Jerry’s once a year, coupon books I always take and never use, and incessant Facebook invites to attend fundraisers at the Gelato Company.

Farewell to staying up way too late and then trying to go to church in the morning. Farewell to free post-church college luncheons. One time I went to a free lunch for a church I hadn’t even attended. (Talk about awkward turtle when they asked what I thought of the sermon.) Farewell to the best student organization ever, RUF.

Farewell to the college lifestyle. I finally attended the Great Underwear Dash this semester, but never did paint the 34th Street wall. I’m graduating with honors but haven’t been published. I made great friends and expect to make more. I’ll see you on the other side. Farewell.

Will Penman is an English senior. His column appears weekly.