Saturday, September 28, 2024

More than 100 students to study abroad for break

UF study-abroad students will be left with little time for a break this spring while taking weeklong courses overseas. 

When the regular semester gets put on pause, 113 UF students will travel to one of five international destinations, said Angela Grindal, a study abroad adviser. 

This year’s Spring Break programs include trips to France, Belize, Belgium, Costa Rica and United Arab Emirates. 

The costs for both undergraduate and graduate programs, which do not include airfare or passport expenses, range from $1,200 to $2,264.

The UF International Center provides financial assistance for students, said Maureen Turim, the director of film and media studies in the Department of English. Turim is teaching a film course in Paris during the break.

Churchill Roberts, a telecommunications professor, is teaching a course about the history of documentary film in Paris. He said Europe is expensive, but it is possible to do the trip on a budget.

Students can eat at all the most expensive restaurants in Paris, Roberts said, or at the McDonald’s on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées.

Grindal said weeklong programs also offer a financial advantage when compared to longer programs. 

For Chase Den Beste, a sophomore double majoring in telecommunication production and theatre, next week will be his second time in France but his first visit to Paris. He said he found out about Roberts’ Paris documentary course during his advanced writing for electronic media class with Roberts at UF.

“I heard we won’t be in the classroom hardly at all, which is pretty exciting,” Den Beste said.