Saturday, September 28, 2024

Growing up, Elizabeth Gonzalez never expected to compete in beauty pageants. The 21-year-old from Newberry said her style was “boyish” during her adolescent years, preferring jeans and T-shirts to skirts and stilettos. But earning the title of Miss Gainesville would help her do what she’s passionate about: reaching out to young people.

She and other contestants of the Miss Gainesville pageant will strut down the stage to compete for the crown Saturday in the Cofrin Theater at Oak Hall School at 6 p.m.

“The Miss America Scholarship Organization challenges young women to excel in all areas of their life, but most importantly to change the lives of others by giving back,” Gonzalez said.

Merissa Amkraut, the executive director for this year’s pageant, said between 20 to 25 young women usually compete.

The contestants must have at least six months of residency in Gainesville and be available for rehearsal.

Each year, the pageant normally consists of a mix of students from UF and Santa Fe College, Amkraut said.

According to the Miss Gainesville Web site, the Miss Gainesville Scholarship Pageant is affiliated with the Miss Florida/Miss America Organization.

The program provides more than $45 million in scholarship annually, according to the Web site.

The title holder will advance to the Miss Florida Scholarship Pageant.