Saturday, September 28, 2024

Eric Greitens wants to challenge students to serve their communities by helping those who have already served their country.

Greitens, a former U.S. Navy Seal, will speak tonight in the Bob Graham Center for Public Service.

“Eric Greitens: A Different Kind of Service”  begins at 7 p.m. and is free and open to the public, according to Vicki Gervickas, Graham Center spokeswoman.

Greitens co-founded The Mission Continues, a nonprofit organization dedicated to matching veterans with three-month volunteer fellowships in the community.

“We try to partner them with an objective that is appealing to them, something they can believe in,” said John Roy, the central Florida outreach coordinator for The Mission Continues.

Roy said volunteers are needed for tribute projects, which commemorate someone who has devoted his or her life to service.

Although Greitens is constantly changing his presentations, he said the event will be directed toward student volunteer opportunities.

Roy said Greitens’ project is needed because veterans who voluntarily agreed to serve their country really struggle to adjust when they are injured. Their goal to continue to serve hasn’t changed, he said.

“The real story is helping wounded and disabled veterans transition,” he said.