Saturday, September 28, 2024

Earth Day is celebrating its 40th birthday, and Gainesville residents are invited to a 40-day party.

The UF Office of Sustainability is sponsoring 40 Days of Change,  which includes sustainability-focused activities on campus and throughout the Gainesville area.

Although Earth Day falls on April 22, the event ends April 24.

The campaign kicked off Tuesday at the Reitz Union Colonnade and North Lawn, where students participated in recycling-themed crafts and learned about upcoming events.

Campaign activities include the 10-day Gainesville Environmental Film and Arts Festival at the Hippodrome and walking tours of Paynes Prairie every Thursday, said Stephanie Sims, program assistant for the Office of Sustainability.

Jordan Weinstein, an intern at the Office of Sustainability, promoted Gators for a Sustainable Campus.

Weinstein said students should pay attention  to the sources of their food and how it’s made.

The Earth Day Celebration is April 21 on the Plaza of the Americas, where President Bernie Machen will give the annual State of Sustainability address.

Correction 3/21/10: The Alligator orginially cited Jordan Weinstein, an intern at the Office of Sustainability, as saying, “It’s important to know where food comes from, where it goes and how it’s recycled." Weinstein said in an e-mail that he did not make this statement and that the quote does not make sense to him.