Friday, September 20, 2024

Doublespeak: Reading between the lines at Florida’s spring practice

It’s spring, which means the sun is shining, the birds are singing and love is in the air.

All right, I spent Monday freezing my butt off under an overcast sky, the only thing I can hear is the construction on University going on outside my house and seemingly all my friends just ended long-term relationships with their girlfriends.

But it’s still springtime, and football practice is back.

You all remember the revelations from last year spring? All the I-Form you can handle, and redshirt freshman center Sam Robey was making a serious push to take a starting job.

I have a hard time putting a lot of stock into anything I hear on the practice field right now simply because there’s so much time between now and the start of the season.

So, here are a few quotes we’ve heard since practice opened back up on Wednesday, and what you should make of them:

Actual quote from Urban Meyer on his health status: “I’m fine. Thanks for your concern. I’m good.” 

Translation: “Next person who asks me that question gets thrown into the circle of life drill with Carl Johnson.”

Actual quote from co-defensive coordinator Chuck Heater: “Urban was still very much involved in recruiting. The one who held this recruiting class together was coach Meyer.”

Translation: “He took less time away than the students do during drop/add.”

Actual quote from sophomore cornerback Jeremy Brown when asked if he had surgery on his back: “We just got it fixed.”

Translation: “I’ve been so overcoached about what to say about this injury thing that I almost took the fifth when you asked me how practice was” or “I’d tell you, but I’d have to kill you.”

Actual quote from Wide receiver Deonte Thompson on the difference between the two passers: “You never know with Tim (Tebow). He can bolt. You think he’s running but he’ll come up and pass it to you. You just have to be ready. With (John) Brantley, everything’s with rhythm, with time. You know, a real quarterback.”

Translation: “Tim is a damn good football player, but I’m sick of blocking.”

Actual quote from running backs coach Stan Drayton, who held the same position at UF before leaving to take the same job at Tennessee and then Syracuse: “I’ve said this before, there was never a loss of respect. I’ve always had the utmost respect for what this program is all about: hard work, relentless effort.”

Translation: “Do you know how cold it is in upstate New York in the fall?”

Actual quote from defensive line coach Dan McCarney on waiting for Ronald Powell and Dominique Easley to arrive in the fall: “We don’t want to put too much emphasis on it and too much hope because I’ve seen some examples of that where guys really fail and it’s a major disappointment.” 

Translation: “We’re putting a lot of emphasis and hope on it.”

Actual quote from wide receiver Deonte Thompson: “Somebody’s got to be (the guy). Why not me, right?”

Translation: “I’m just as surprised as you are.”