Thursday, September 19, 2024

As Americans, the Editorial Board understands that people stroke egos in exchange for money. When bragging and brown-nosing rears its head in charitable events, however, we have to draw a line.

Beta Theta Pi’s philanthropy raised money to fund a scholarship and combat Alzheimer’s disease. It also raised our eyebrows because the fraternity used sororities performing cheers about their own houses to draw an audience.

Reliving their glory days as cheerleaders is one thing, but the sisters focused on being judged for praising their groups. The objective of the competition spotlights a glaring narcissistic problem at an event which should humble the people involved.

It seems to us that the Greek community tends to put up an if-we-throw-money-at-a-charity-they-can’t-say-jack shield to defend from attacks on its self-serving entertainment choices.

As if setting up a contest to be told how great they are isn’t bad enough, we question the necessity of the cheers in the first place.

Why would people train for months to sing the praises of their own organizations? We’re not saying cheers raising awareness about Alzheimer’s come by the dozen, but with the time and effort used to practice, coach and set up for the fundraiser, we’re sure more people could have been helped. Imagine if the practice times were used to build houses for Habitat of Humanity, not to mention the potential power of an ex-Gators football player’s endorsement.

It’s time for the people leading these events to redirect their efforts away from vanity and toward the well-being of their fellow men.