Saturday, September 28, 2024

Each week on Turlington Plaza,  a group of students participates in Testimonial Tuesdays and tell stories about how they became Christians, offering their message to anyone who wants to listen.

“I know for me, when I’m out there, it’s amazing to hear what God has done,” said Shawn Findlater, the group’s founder. ”He’s really worked some miracles in people’s lives.”

Right now, the participants are  a few members of Findlater’s church at First Assembly of God. The group meets at 11:45 a.m.

Findlater said he got the idea to create the group while he was praying because he felt it would be a good way for others to hear how good God is.

Findlater believes that giving a testimony helps those who are listening relate to the message.

Although there are various ways to share beliefs, not every method is successful in making a connection with the listeners.

“You can talk about what God says and still not get across what God is,” he said.

Bringing people to God isn’t the only benefit the group finds from giving testimonies.

Wesla Bourdeau, a member of the Rock of Gainesville’s Rock Your Life program, said that members of the group can be reminded of how far their faith has brought them and get a sense of fulfillment of doing something asked of them.

“We’re all called to be a witness, and I think by giving our testimony we’re being a witness to God’s grace,” she said.

Bourdeau feels that using a person’s story to witness helps make a personal connection to those listening.

According to Bourdeau, it draws them in more than simply spouting out rules and regulations.

But the best part for him is seeing how it affects those who listen and truly take in the message.

“You can see a glimmer of freedom in their eyes, and you know that it’s really helping them,” Findlater said.