Saturday, September 28, 2024

Taco Bell joins national shift toward healthier eating

Some resolutions this year might come with a side of salsa.

As many people made New Year’s resolutions, Taco Bell introduced its new Drive-Thru Diet, which includes seven new menu items each with nine grams of fat or less and no more than 340 calories.

Taco Bell’s new diet also comes with its own spokeswoman, Christine Dougherty — reminiscent of Subway’s Jared Fogle — as it joins the ranks of other fast food chains that aim to help customers lose weight by eating their food. 

Dougherty, who lost 54 pounds by joining Taco Bell’s Frescolution by ordering items from the restaurant’s Fresco menu, aims to align the “fourth meal” restaurant with the health-conscious market.

The new diet items have a layer of fiesta salsa in place of cheese usually found on any item at Taco Bell.

On its Web site, Taco Bell lists a disclaimer, informing potential dieters the new Drive-Thru Diet actually isn’t a diet at all.

Dougherty is quoted as saying her results aren’t typical. She alludes to making other sensible choices aside from the Drive-Thru Diet, but she fails to mention what those other choices are.

At least one Taco Bell, the Reitz Union location, isn’t participating in the Frescolution.

Cassie Tillman, assistant manager at the Reitz’ Taco Bell, said the fiesta salsa has been available for at least a year now, but she isn’t sure if people like it for dietary reasons or personal preference.

Tillman said the new Drive-Thru Diet menu won’t make its way to campus because it’s essentially already here.

“We already get lots of orders with no dairy and add salsa,” Tillman said. “You can do it with anything on the menu.”

Tillman also added the new diet probably wouldn’t have much of an effect at UF’s location, saying another Dougherty isn’t likely to pop up at a college.

“It depends on the students, and if they want to eat healthy,” she said.