Thursday, September 19, 2024

UF student David Feinstein did a little more than work out Saturday night when he went to the gym.

When he saw building construction professor Michael Cook lying on the ground blue in the face and suffering from a heart attack, he didn’t keep walking – he gave Cook CPR.

And that’s why The Editorial Board would like to give Feinstein its Hero of the Month award. (OK, so it’s not a real award, but we’re giving it to him anyway).

We’re always happy to see students making their way into our lovely paper because of something good they did and not because they got in trouble with the law – yeah, we’re talking to all of you athletes, student leaders and professors who have gotten DUIs, been involved in gun rings or accused of hitting their girlfriends.

And while we’re giving out made-up awards, we’re going to give Feinstein’s friend Josh Rubin the Robin Award for checking Cook’s pulse, getting a Southwest Recreation Center employee and calling 911.

After all, where would Batman be without his trusty sidekick?

These two students are true heroes and deserve to be recognized for their courageous actions.

When we hear stories like this, it makes us proud to be a part of The Gator Nation.

Now, as for the aforementioned “campus celebrities,” you all could really take a page out of Feinstein and Rubin’s book the next time you grace the pages of our paper.