Saturday, September 28, 2024

‘Cheery’ thrift store holds grand opening

A Gainesville real-estate investor’s dream of transforming an abandoned furniture store into a charity thrift store has finally come true.

Kim Cinque said she first considered the idea while driving past the former lonely building with her husband, Craig.

Cinque then mentioned the idea to Jennifer Anchors, executive director of Children’s Home Society of Florida, while at a birthday party Cinque’s son attended.

Anchors welcomed the opportunity.

The Tot Spot Thrift Store, located at 710 N Main St., opened in December and will celebrate its grand opening today from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.

All of the proceeds from the Tot Spot go to the Children’s Home Society, which seeks to end the generational cycle of child abuse and neglect, Anchors said.

“We want to ensure that every child is safe, healthy, cared for, is prepared for life and has a loving family,” she said.

Anchors said the thrift store is especially important to the Children’s Home Society and the community during tough economic times.

The store sells clothing for babies, children and adults of all ages. It also offers electronics, toys and furniture.

But this thrift store, Cinque said, is different from others she has seen.

“I wanted it to be bright, cheery and fashionable,” she said. “I wanted the store to be less dreary than most thrift stores, mommy-friendly and more of a retail experience.”

The highlight of the store for Cinque, who designed the building’s renovation, is the children’s play area in the center of the store.

At the grand opening, there will be a ribbon cutting, snacks, door prizes and sales, Anchors said.

She said the Tot Spot is also looking for student volunteers to help with washing, organizing, tagging and displaying the clothes. Volunteers ranging from committed helpers to one-time workers are welcome, Anchors said.

Cinque, who attend the grand opening, said she was humbled by the project, yet proud of what was accomplished at the same time.

“It’s been a real gamble — a risk,” she said. “I’m so excited to see that my vision wasn’t crazy, and it is actually doing well for the store.”