Saturday, September 28, 2024

A program co-sponsored by the University Athletic Association and UF Alumni Association is scoring big for students.

With the Pay for Performance Florida Football Challenge, the George A. Smathers libraries were able to raise more than $5,000, which will fund the improvement of library resources and extend study time.

The libraries received donations ranging from 25 cents to $100 every time the Gators scored a touchdown in the regular season. There is also talk of donations for touchdowns in the Southeastern Conference championship this weekend.

Samuel Huang, the libraries’ associate dean for advancement and development, said the money will be used to meet growing student and faculty research and learning needs.

“All the money we raise will be to upgrade and refresh technology for the students,” he said. “Everything is to benefit the students.”

The idea for the program, which is the first of its kind among any of the SEC schools, came from 13-year-old Brent Carris. During the 2009 BCS championship game, he asked his father, Richard Carris, library leadership board director, if he would give money every time the Gators scored a touchdown.

Brent’s question inspired his father, a UF graduate, to take action and get Urban Meyer on board for support.

“The main reason for this was that I basically thought ‘How many hours do you spend going to the library versus going to a football game?’” he said.

Huang said another pledge drive is planned for basketball season, The Florida Basketball 3-point Challenge.

For more information, visit uflib.ufl.edu for an online pledge form.