Sunday, September 29, 2024

Residents of Northeast Seventh Street will see a bit of a change during the next week as “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” takes over the small neighborhood.

“Extreme Makeover: Home Edition,” an ABC show that builds a home for a needy family in one week, chose the Wagstaff family, of 1415 NE Seventh St., as its project.

Tobin and Jill Wagstaff and their four children — Dallas, 5; Rudy, 6; Tobin James, 7; and Jolene, 4 — found out Monday morning that they had been selected.

“Well we really are pretty surprised by all this,” said Tobin Wagstaff, 29, during a press conference. “We’re definitely thankful for this opportunity, and we appreciate everybody and their help.”

The family runs a nonprofit music school called Studio Percussion Inc., which teaches students of all ages how to play the drums and percussion instruments.

But the school can only pay one salary, and Jill took a job as a preschool teacher to make ends meet.

“We’re at the beginning of something that’s going to change our life, and I don’t know how you can begin to put that into words,” Tobin said.

The family said there isn’t much they will miss about their home, which was built in 1956, except the memories they made.

As far as expectations for their new home, the Wagstaffs hope for a little less maintenance and more space.

“You can’t prepare yourself for something like this,” Tobin said. “I just couldn’t believe it.”

Cat Lisle, 46, lives next door to the Wagstaff family and said she and her husband have lived in the neighborhood since before the Wagstaffs moved in.

Lisle said most of the neighbors were not surprised the family was chosen because they had been receiving fliers in the mail from ABC asking about the family, as well as visitors who wanted to know more about the Wagstaffs.

But it was news to the family, who insisted there were people in greater need, Lisle said.

The design team for the new home includes Ty Pennington, Didiayer Snyder, Paul DiMeo and Eduardo Xol.

The show, which began taping on Monday, used the UF Marching Band and students from Studio Percussion as a part of the Braveheart March, which shows the demolition crew and volunteers marching to the home.

Demolition is set for today around 5 p.m.

Members of the community are invited to watch the build beginning on Wednesday. All volunteer positions are currently full.

The Web site for the build, arkextremebuild.com, will list requests for any additional volunteers the builders may need.