Friday, October 18, 2024

This World AIDS Day, I reflect on the number of people in the U.S. and abroad who contract HIV daily. It’s a staggering number. I also remember those who are currently living with HIV, a disease characterized by stigma and social blame. While originally considered a disease of gay men, many today are living with HIV for reasons beyond their control — including receiving tainted blood transfusions.

There are thousands living in the U.S. alone who have contracted HIV unknowingly through blood products. Who knows how many more have contracted it from these unknowing hosts. It is important to remember that in the world of public health, screening — and rejection — can be helpful things.

Note that since blood donation screening started, the risk of HIV transmission through blood products has declined drastically. Rejecting high risk donations is not discrimination — it’s safety.

Bear in mind that this “discrimination” is not solely against male homosexual contact. Donations are refused from those with tattoos, piercings, organ donations, certain drug and medical histories and those who have traveled to countries with high blood disease prevalence. That brings up another point — HIV is not the only disease transmissible through blood contact. Screenings also cover malaria, hepatitis, Chagas disease and others.

Screening does not discriminate. It keeps the public safe.