Saturday, September 28, 2024

Can't find your classes? There's an app for that.

UF sophomore Bryan Dubno has developed UFmobile, a free application for Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch.

The official UF application features a GPS-enabled campus map, a calendar of campus events from the student union events calendar, a directory of services around campus and news feed from the UF News Web site.

Dubno, who has already created three other applications, said he came up with the idea when a student asked him for help finding an exam building. He looked up the building on his phone but was disappointed because the site was slow and didn't include GPS.

"The original idea was just to do a campus map, but it has expanded past that," Dubno said.

Dubno worked with David Khey, an e-Learning support services employee, to make UFmobile the official UF application.

"I was a webmaster last year for the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures, and I talked to my boss about the app and he put me in contact with David," Dubno said.

Khey has been the middleman between Dubno and Academic Technology, a group of UF faculty members focused on making technological advances to help further education, Khey said.

"I would've loved to have this [application] when I was in school," Khey said.

UFmobile is not only beneficial to students, Dubno said.

"Prospective students can use it, alumni can stay up to date on campus events and anyone with an affiliation with UF can use it," Dubno said.

Dubno and Khey are already working on updates for the application, which would include information from RTS, Student Government and lectures from the business school.

Khey also hopes to work on making the application available to all smart phones.

Since Thursday, there have already been 159 downloads of UFmobile.

To download the application, search UFmobile in the App Store on your iPhone or iPod Touch.