Saturday, September 28, 2024

Members of UF's Model United Nations and students linked themselves through their support of global cooperation among nations Thursday.

In celebration of United Nations Day, students added links to a chain, which symbolized their support of global cooperation to help developing nations on the Plaza of the Americas.

Inspiration for the activity's theme came from one of the U.N.'s Millennium Development Goals, which is to help nations that are still developing - like third world countries - succeed.

Model U.N. member and UF senior Stephanie Loy said the event was about raising awareness and solidarity.

"We are advocating coming together for one cause," she said.

Students could write their names, where they're from and even a quote on slips of colored paper. The slips were stapled together to form a chain of support that snaked along the front of the table.

Yellow, green, brown, orange and blue names formed a chain more than 120 links long.

UF junior Andrew Scheuermann said he liked the idea of Model U.N. bringing awareness to global issues.

"I think it's a cool organization promoting international thinking," he said.

Although the organization observed U.N. Day Thursday, the actual international holiday is Saturday.