Thursday, September 19, 2024

Campaign season is nowhere near fun for anybody involved: the parties running, the candidates running and the Student Body. This year, I got lucky: I had a managerial economics exam on Wednesday night that required a bit more attention. However, I take deep offense with the Alligator's Editorial Board comparing campaign season to a "personal Trail of Tears" in Friday's "Darts & Laurels."

This is incredibly insensitive to the thousands of Native Americans who were forced to relocate during this dark period of our country's history. It's annoying to be asked to support a party every few minutes on your way to class, but how dare you compare a minor displeasure to a period of ethnic cleansing? Most of us dislike being bothered on our way to class, but with barely 17 percent of the Student Body voting, what do you expect to happen? It makes me wonder if this paper's editorial staff even understands the repercussions of its writings, let alone the horrors that existed on the real Trail of Tears. If anything, it saddens me that the public school system has failed you so badly.