Sunday, September 29, 2024

Fox plans 'Texts From Last Night' show

"Remember that text you shouldn't have sent last night? We do."

This tagline belongs to the popular student Web site Texts From Last Night, where students share embarrassing text messages from the night before.

Students may soon find their regrettable scenarios aired on national TV because Fox Network adopted this for a new show.

Fox announced the sitcom's launch Sept. 9.

"We seem to have a fascination with the private details of celebrity lives," said Don Kershaw, UF history junior. "So I guess it was only a matter of time before that fascination bled over to the general public."

The Web site, which launched in February, boasts nearly four million hits a day. Visitors have a chance to rate each text as a "good" or "bad" night, illustrated by the thumbs-up or thumbs-down icon.

Kershaw has never used the site and thinks it's a sad example of the country's nosy attitude.

Steve Holland, the writer of the new comedy, will use fictional, 20-something characters for the reality show. It will highlight racy communication and scandalous situations, like getting drunk, high or engaging in sexual activity.

"I think it's fitting that cable news outlets like Fox are promoting this type of garbage," Kershaw said. "After all, they do the same thing this Web site does but to a grander, national audience."

UF psychology senior Nancy Carney uses the Web site regularly, she places her favorite text entries as her Facebook status and even makes a few entries of her own.

"Knowing my texts may end up on television won't change my mind about submitting them," Carney said. "I am not ashamed of anything I have submitted."

The site is free to use and conceals all identities. The texts are listed by the area code from which they were received, making it user friendly and anonymous. Texts From Last Night has also created applications for cell phones like the BlackBerry and iPhone, allowing owners to automatically connect to the Web site from their handheld device.

They also have an online store, a Facebook page and a Twitter site.

"I love the Web site and have the BlackBerry application for it," said Lindsey Gatling, a nursing senior. "I think it's funny to read the witty things people have to say or the stupid things they do with themselves."

Fox predicts the show will reach top ratings. The name of the show or the premiere date has not yet been released.