Sunday, September 29, 2024

East Gainesville annexation could up residents' taxes

City officials addressed the concerns of people living within a 1,200-acre stretch of land that may be annexed at a meeting Saturday.

About 15 county residents attended the meeting, and representatives from Gainesville Regional Utilities, the police department, public works and planning and development were all on hand to inform voters.

The land, east of Morningside Nature Center, is estimated to contain about 3,000 people, according to Karen Billings, director of strategic planning for the city.

Tax increases were a main concern of residents at the meeting. Billings presented figures showing a property valued at $35,000 would have a tax increase of $41.24 per year. A property worth $80,000 would see a $94.26 annual increase.

However, these increases would be balanced by a reduction in surcharges on utility bills, Billings said. Currently, GRU customers outside the city pay a 25-percent surcharge on water and wastewater and a 10-percent surcharge on electricity and gas.

Residents also inquired about the possible switch from septic tanks to city waste systems and the availability of bus routes in the area.

Currently, two Regional Transit System buses serve the area but only come by once per hour.

City Manager Russ Blackburn said residents would not be forced to replace working septic systems and added that some existing properties within the city still use septic tanks.

The decision to use mail-in ballots rather than open polling locations was based on assumed voter turnout.

"We wanted to make sure we get as many people participating as possible," Billings said.

"With only one item on the ballot, turnout [at polling locations] may not have been high."

She added that there is no minimum response requirement for the vote to be valid.

Another meeting will be held today at 6:30 p.m. at the Alachua County Health Department and on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. again at Eastside High School.