Thursday, September 19, 2024

I understand the fact that many students did not get the inside jokes about certain Greek organizations spoken during the Weekend Update at Gator Growl, but from the editorial "Let the Greeks Growl," the Alligator seemed very upset by this. I actually thought that the members of the Alligator would love this part the most, seeing as they appreciate any jab taken at the Greek community.

The joke about Delta Upsilon changing their Web site to WeRunNothing.com/trannies did not make sense to anyone in the stadium, but more or less everyone just laughed at the word "trannies," which I'm sure was insulting to the LGBTQ community. The only reason that I laughed at this joke was because of how absurdly ridiculous a statement it was - like most of the jokes in the segment - but not because it was true. These jokes about the Greek organizations on campus were not meant to be researched for credibility.

One last comment to be made is that while it is true that many Greeks helped organize this event, I being one of them, it was not another "Greek social" as the Alligator stated. It was a well-orchestrated event by all who were involved, and Matt Sloan deserves recognition for developing such a great show. The organizers of Gator Growl knew that the Greek community represents less than 20 percent of the student body, which is why less than ten minutes of the three and a half hour show was dedicated to Greek jokes. I just feel that the Alligator has overreacted about this one short segment of an event that is supposed to inspire and entertain all members of the Gator Nation. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, don't get me wrong, but remember that it is called "Gator Growl," not "Alligator Whine."