Saturday, September 28, 2024

UF's Documentary Institute, a graduate program that was eliminated during the April budget cuts, has been relocated to Wake Forest University.

Institute co-director Churchill Roberts said the program had a good track record of producing work that brought UF national visibility.

"It's discouraging whenever you're in a program that's being eliminated," said Jon Bougher, a graduate student in the program. "It makes you feel kind of unnecessary."

Last spring, the program's alumni set up an online petition in an attempt to save the institute, collecting 1,171 signatures, but failing to rescue it.

The nine students in the graduate program will now graduate with Master of Arts degrees. Bougher said some students might go to Wake Forest for a year and also receive a Master of Fine Arts degree, which is considered a terminal degree, or the highest possible degree in an academic field.

"I guess I have mixed feelings," he said. "I'm happy in the sense that I don't want it to be at a college where it doesn't get support."