Saturday, September 28, 2024

Though 90,000 cheering fans will fill the Swamp on Saturday, one thing will be missing: carbon emissions.

Neutral Gator, a nonprofit initiative created in 2008, is teaming up with the University Athletic Association to reduce UF's carbon footprint and help reach the UAA's climate neutrality goal by 2025.

This will be the first-ever carbon neutral NCAA season working to offset the carbon footprint created by athletic programs.

"I think it shows that the UAA is taking a great sense of responsibility by trying to eliminate their entire carbon footprint," said Anna Prizzia, director of UF's Office of Sustainability. "And by partnering with Neutral Gator to locally offset it instead of just purchasing the offsets is just great."

Neutral Gator has only worked on home games last year. However, the entire 2009-2010 Gators athletic program will be offset.

At Saturday's season opener, Neutral Gator will have a "Highlights of Gators Past" themed tailgate tent in front of the O'Connell Center where travelers can offset their emissions by learning more about the organization. Each game's tailgate tent will have a new theme where fans can learn more about Neutral Gator's endeavors and how to get involved.

Angelica Ramdhari, project coordinator at Neutral Gator, said the tailgates will be where students come into play the most.

The group has reached out locally as well. On Saturday, it held a "renter's initiative" to help low-income homes become more sustainable; there have also been bake sales and creek restoration by planting 200 apple and cypress trees.

Neutral Gator hopes that through these projects and informational tailgates, the UAA 2025 carbon neutrality goal will be met.

"Once we get the formula down, accomplishing the goal shouldn't be too much," Ramdhari said.