Sunday, September 29, 2024

A new UF study shows people who witness co-workers being rude to each other experience the same effect as the people toward whom the rude behavior is directed.

Amir Erez, an associate professor of management at UF, and Christine Porath, a professor from the University of Southern California, conducted three experiments that each showed the same result of observers becoming less able to think creatively and solve problems.

In the study, participants observed a fellow student being reprimanded for arriving late to class while participants in the control group only saw a tardy student be dismissed from class.

Those who witnessed the rude behavior toward a student were less able to recall information and found less creative uses for a brick.

They suggested a brick could be used for violent purposes like beating someone up or throwing through a window, according to the study.

"It/s an immediate reaction," Erez said. Because workers have to be more creative and helpful at their jobs, he said, it is important to keep hostile behavior from spreading.

"Managers need to pay attention to that," he said.

The inspiration for the study was similar research indicating that exposure to rude behavior significantly decreased ability to focus, he said.

Because of this, he and Porath wondered how this same behavior affected workers who simply observed the negative behavior.

After about a year and a half of studying and conducting the experiments, Erez and Porath published their findings.

Janitorial supervisor Katrena Johnson said that conflict between two employees usually escalates to involve more.

"That/s why they should do it in private," Johnson said.

Michael Lillie, Weimer Hall building supervisor, said the study is representative of his workplace.

"[Rudeness] puts you in a bad mood," he said. "It/s not professional."