Sunday, September 29, 2024

Alyssa Watson had difficulty finding a job in Gainesville this summer, and she was not alone.

The 21-year-old marketing senior at UF said she definitely noticed the lack of employment available, even though the number of students living in Gainesville for the summer is much lower than during the fall and spring semesters.

Due in large part to the economy, many UF undergraduate students are struggling to find employment.

Watson said she thinks that the lack of jobs is creating difficulties for students who need to pay for classes or rent during the fall term.

"If I'm having this hard of a time finding a job already, I'm really worried about what's going to happen to me when I graduate college," Watson said.

This fall, as more than 6,000 baby Gators begin their college careers at UF, the hunt for jobs will become even more competitive.

Nadene Francis, assistant director of public relations for UF's Career Resource Center, said she has noticed the increasing amount of students who are seeking employment advice from her office.

Francis said the center has come up with new and innovative ways to accommodate the students seeking assistance, including an updated Web site with tips on searching for a part-time job.

"The potential for interesting and rewarding part-time work is there," she said. "It just takes time to find it."

But as Watson enters her senior year of college at UF this fall, she finds herself still unemployed.

"I've applied at every restaurant and business I can think of," she said. "Waiting for the employers to call me back is the worst part."

As of June, the city of Gainesville's unemployment rate was 10.3 percent.

This is slightly lower than Florida's rate of 10.6 percent and just over the national rate of 9.4 percent for the same month, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics Web site.

On Aug. 26, the UF Career Resource Center and Student Financial Affairs will hold a Part-Time Job Fair.

The fair will last from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the J. Wayne Reitz Student Union North Lawn. The event will be free for UF students and alumni.

University departments and local employers will attend and recruit students for part-time and seasonal hiring needs.

Students are encouraged to bring their resumes and fall class schedules.

Francis said the number of on-campus jobs is expected to decline this fall, due to departments hiring fewer student workers or even none at all.

She said that at last year's job fair, more than 1,000 students were in attendance. This year, she expects even more students to attend.

"As long as the weather holds up, we are expecting a good turnout," she said.

"Financial aid has been limited, so students are looking for ways to not run dry."

Students who are fortunate enough to have found a job in Gainesville say they are not taking it for granted.

Anita Miller, a sophomore accounting major, said she feels lucky to work as a desk assistant for the Center for Student Activities and Involvement at UF.

"I'm not planning on leaving this job anytime soon," Miller said.

"If I tried to look for another job now, I probably wouldn't be able to find one."

Miller said that despite the irritation some students may feel during their job searches, she thinks having a positive attitude is still the best way to impress future employers.

"A smile goes a long way," she said.