Saturday, September 07, 2024

This following is an open letter to all new freshmen at UF.

So, you've survived high school and finally made it to college. Not just any college, but UF. This is it. The Big Game. You're probably feeling excited, more adult-like and ready to start living your own life. Well, welcome to the Swamp.

After about a month, when the novelty finally starts to wear off, you're going to start to sweat. That'll be just enough time to get a good start on the Freshman 15 and to watch about a third of your Orgo class fail the first exam.

Questions about whether you need to change your major arise, along with that first bout of homesickness and that nagging doubt over whether or not college is living up to your expectations or if you're living up to your own.

That being said, there are things that you don't hear enough when starting college. When I started in 2006 the main source of advice was First Year Florida, which isn't saying much.

I think the best advice to get as a freshman is also the most simple: Chill. With four years ahead of you, there's going to be plenty of time to change your major (more than likely you'll do it if you're lucky you'll only do it once!) You've got plenty of time to turn into that awesome person you always knew you were going to be once you escaped your hometown. Most of all, don't get nervous. Everyone else survives it, and you will too.

There's some truth to what they tell you at orientation. Getting involved is a good idea. But here's what orientation doesn't tell you: There are a whole lot of clubs out there besides Student Government and the Sociology Club. Try a really revolutionary idea and do something you might actually enjoy. Give capoeira a try. Jump out of a plane with Falling Gators. Go back to elementary school every Friday, rain or shine, with those four-square kids on Turlington Plaza.

Don't worry about padding your resumè just yet. You have all the time you could need. Kick back. Relax. Realize that a "W" on your transcript won't be the end of the world and have the fun you came here to have. There's no better college town than Gainesville. With this advice and a copy of the Alligator, you'll be all set.

Eric Chianese is an English junior. His column appears weekly.