Sunday, September 29, 2024

Cultural attractions offer plenty to see, do in Gainesville

As the largest city in Alachua County and a major crossroad in north central Florida, Gainesville is an eclectic meeting point in the heart of the state. The city offers a wealth of cultural activities to experience.

See a map of the locations in this story and more: Gainesville Explorer

UF's Cultural Plaza is on the edge of campus at the intersection of Southwest 34th Street and Hull Road and includes a natural history museum, an art museum and a performing arts center.

The Florida Museum of Natural History is largest natural history museum in the Southeast with more than 25 million specimens of wildlife. It is the state's official natural history museum and is located on the Cultural Plaza.

Next door, the Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art houses more than 7,000 works in permanent collections that include photography as well as Asian, African, modern and contemporary art.

The museum also hosts exhibits from around the nation. Currently, the "Rediscovering Slobodkina: A Pioneer in American Abstraction" display showcases the work of Esphyr Slobodkina, one of the first female American abstract artists.

Across the plaza from the Harn, The Curtis M. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts seats 1,700, and has hosted a wide range of acts from Broadway shows such as "Cats" and "Riverdance" to artists Ray Charles and Wynton Marsalis.

Gainesville native alternative-rock band Sister Hazel will perform Sept. 18.

Other high-profile shows scheduled for the Phillips Center this school year include "Avenue Q" in November and "Hairspray" in February. "Cats" will return in January.

The center also contains the 180-seat Squitieri Studio Theatre, formerly known as the Black Box Theatre. This venue provides an intimate setting for new artists.

Outside the university, the city is also home to a vibrant arts scene rich in theater and music.

The Hippodrome State Theatre, or "the Hipp," is located downtown and puts on both Broadway and off-Broadway shows. The next play to debut will be "Up" by Bridget Carpenter on Sept. 4.

The Hipp also houses an 80-seat cinema that shows art house films.

The building occupied by the theater formerly housed the Gainesville U.S. Post Office and Courthouse and is one of the few remaining historic structures downtown. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Gainesville is also home to several community theaters showcasing professional and amateur performers alike.

The Gainesville Community Playhouse, founded in 1927, is the oldest community theater group in the state of Florida. The group performs at the Vam York Theater at 4039 NW 16th Blvd. On Sept. 4, the Playhouse will open its "Shakespeare in Hollywood" performance, which will run through Sept. 20.

The Acrosstown Repertory Theatre, located in the Baird Center, 619 S Main St., welcomes participants of all experience levels. The theater also supports a young acting group, the Student Ensemble Theatre.

The city's premier art exhibits are housed in the Thomas Center, at 302 NE Sixth Ave., with two separate galleries.

In the main gallery, the Ninth Annual Regional Juried Exhibition currently showcases 36 works from artists, painters and photographers from around the state. The building in which the center is located is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Both UF and Gainesville have their own orchestra made up of students and professionals, respectively.

The university orchestra performs in the The University Auditorium on campus, and auditions are required for each chair.

The Gainesville Chamber Orchestra, a group of professional musicians residing in the city, gives both formal performances and free outdoor shows each year.

The city hosts events throughout the year on the Bo Diddley Community Plaza downtown at Southeast First Street and East University Avenue. Every Friday from May to October, the "Let's Go Downtown 'Free Friday' Series" brings local acts to perform shows free and open to the public. Shows begin at 8 p.m. and last until 10 p.m.

Later in the fall, the downtown area is closed off and transformed into an outdoor fine arts festival, which typically draws more than 100,000 guests and showcases the work of more than 250 artists.

The Downtown Festival and Arts Show, now in its 28th year, will be Nov. 14 and 15.

The city also boasts a popular underground music scene. And if the arts aren't your thing, there's still a decent football team.