Saturday, September 07, 2024

So I refuse to be the only one who doesn/t give my two cents about this Palin resignation.

Let me just say that I/m overjoyed. Seriously. Like a kid on Christmas.

There are so many possible reasons for Palin/s resignation, and each of them thrills me. Is she going to run for president? Did she resign just ahead of a scandal? Is she going to cash in on some of that reality TV money that/s been thrown at her by the soul-stealers known as television executives? Whatever her reason, Sarah Palin is the hot topic right now. And the world, it seems, is her oyster.

On July 26, Palin will no longer be the most powerful woman in Alaska. I mean that only in a political sense. I/m sure she will probably remain the only Alaskan woman who can strangle a bear or beat Putin at arm wrestling.

But, she will no longer be governor, and I imagine that to be a bittersweet day for Alaskan Democrats and Republicans alike. She/s brought fantastic exposure to a place that, frankly, many Americans just plain forget exists. One can only imagine Alaska will become as obscure as Hawaii, Arkansas or North Dakota.

Palin herself has been charmingly vague about her plans, only telling the public that she wants to stay to some degree involved in politics. She said that she will stump for any candidate who shares her small-government, maverick values - even conservative Democrats! No offense to the Alaskan Amazon, but I can hardly imagine that any Democrat would appreciate her support, given her dismal approval ratings among Democrats and Independents alike.

No, if Palin wants to stay involved in politics, it will have to be without straying far from the conservative base that, like Dr. Frankenstein, created and let her loose her upon us all.

Perhaps we/ll get very lucky and be graced with an Obama-Palin race for the White House in 2012. I can/t imagine a better scenario - especially since I support Obama.

I don/t know what advice Palin has been listening to, but unless Obama decides to kick a baby on national TV, she can/t win. What she can do, though, is provide hours of entertainment in the form of uninformed answers, bizarre segues and slightly cougarish winks. And wouldn/t that be worth it? America needs to laugh again.

While this scenario is appealing - as is the prospect of a scandal - what I/m saying my evening prayers for is a Palin reality show. "Maverick Knows Best"? "Survivor: Alaska"? Maybe she/ll even make a guest appearance on an episode of "Trading Spouses.

There is a lot of money and fame being dangled in front of that small town girl, as well as an escape from the lonely political world where David Letterman mocks you.

Who could blame her for taking that train to reality superstardom? Certainly, she has sufficient talent for it.

For now we/ll wait, and watch, and hope that Palin will stay visible. I can/t imagine America without her.

Eric Chianese is an English senior. His column appears weekly.