Sunday, September 29, 2024

Ronald Stiles III, a UF senior and recreation sports major, died in a surfing accident at Crescent Beach, Fla., on May 1.

Stiles disappeared while surfing, and officers were contacted after his white surf board washed up on shore without him on it, according to a police report.

Stiles' body was found after officers searched the area, the report said. He was not breathing and had no pulse.

Stiles was then taken to Flagler Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Aside from surfing and school, Stiles also worked at Café Gardens as a member of the kitchen staff.

His manager, Devon Vlason, said he was always punctual, a hard worker and very reliable.

Vlason said the two would always talk about music, which was another of Stiles' passions.

"He loved music," he said. "He listened to everything from punk rock to country."

Vlason said he was a soft-spoken guy, but Stiles was never short of a funny story to tell, adding he always knew how to make the other kitchen staffers laugh.

"He has a kind soul and a good spirit," he said. "He really cared for his friends."

According to UF spokesman Steve Orlando, Stiles' funeral was held on May 6.

Orlando said he did not know if UF has plans of holding a memorial in Stiles' honor.