Sunday, July 07, 2024

Let's face it, a summer spent in good ol' Gainesville is sure to include a healthy dose of partying from time to time.

Whether you enjoy drinking straight from the pitcher at Gator City or getting your swerve on listening to Notorious B.I.G. upstairs at Sharab, Gainesville offers a multitude of fine boozing establishments all over town.

But with late night bar crawls followed by the requisite early morning stop at Pita Pit for the finest in falafel, students often find themselves stumbling home oblivious to the dangers lurking in the dark.

As a result of increased criminal activity, specifically robberies near the UF campus, the UF Police Department released a tip sheet on Wednesday to help students stay safe. Ranging from not walking alone at night to staying in well-lit areas, the list offers a few fairly basic recommendations on how to avoid falling victim to robbery. Interestingly enough, the one tip that caught our eye suggested avoiding a level of intoxication that makes you an easy target.

What they are trying to say is go ahead and enjoy your Dos Equis, just don't keep drinking until you've successfully convinced yourself you are the most interesting man in the world.

We're not here to preach, nor are we pretending to be your parents. The Editorial Board has been known to frequent a fair share of Gainesville's water holes (OK, more like every bar) in our day. Rather, we hope a gentle reminder of a few things you already know might help prevent an unfortunate situation from dampering your summer fun.