Sunday, September 29, 2024

UF law graduate joins Fla. appointing commission

Persistence is the word a UF law professor lives by, and he said it earned him a seat on a Florida appointing commission.

Jon Mills was notified in March by Sen. Bill Nelson's office about his seat on the Florida Judicial Nominating Commission.

"I think it's an important assignment to review federal judge appointments since they play an important part in our lives," Mills said.

The Commission consists of 56 members that review and give recommendations of candidates who will serve as the U.S. District Court judges, U.S. marshals and U.S. attorneys in Florida, Mills said.

The Commission's duties also include providing the governor with possible appointments to state appellate courts.

Mills will join 12 other UF law graduates on the Commission. He is also a UF alumnus, dean emeritus, former Florida Speaker of the House and founding director of the Center for Governmental Responsibility.

"I look forward to working with other members in the committee, along with having the chance to help make decisions by our senators and President Obama," Mills said.

Growing up, Mills found inspiration in historical figures like Winston Churchill and Abraham Lincoln because they had to make tough decisions during difficult times.

"I think they are the type of people that young people can learn a lot from in their lives," Mills said. "They have an important characteristic, which is perseverance."

Despite his achievements, Mills has encountered challenges in reaching his goals in life, but he describes the challenges as defining moments that inspired his career.

Besides contributing to the law community, Mills currently devotes his time to helping his daughters, Marguerite, 14, and Elizabeth, 9, play volleyball.

He was never a volleyball player himself, but he spends about 10 hours a week helping the girls with their game.

"I am a volleyball dad," Mills said.

Although unsure where future plans will take him, Mills said they will definitely involve working in public service.

"Any time you get the chance to work in public service, it should be savored and enjoyed," he said.