Friday, September 27, 2024

Amongst all of the budget woes here at UF, it was inevitable that some student organizations would feel the impact.

Unfortunately, SG politics threaten the fate of an important, popular and visible group Gators for a Sustainable Campus.

When I walked into my first GSC meeting early in my freshman year, I was thrilled to find a passionate, ambitious group of young students who were dedicated to making a difference in the university and beyond.

I quickly learned of GSC's short but admirable history - it was the brainchild of a group of students who took a class on sustainability together. The drive of the founders is evident in today's membership, with student projects ranging from passing a green fee at the university level (it is currently in state legislature), the planning of an Earth Day extravaganza, outreach to local elementary schools and social events like camping.

It is of the utmost importance that GSC continues to receive adequate funding and remains a separate entity from the new sustainability agency being created in SG. As a student group we allow an outlet for any member of the student body to bring forth ideas and projects to get support, volunteers and guidance.