Sunday, September 29, 2024

About 30 students enrolled in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders gathered on the Plaza of the Americas on Tuesday to protest the potential cut of their program from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Students handed out fliers to those passing by for about four hours and held posters reading "CSD Deserves to Stay."

During a meeting last week, dean of CLAS Paul D'Anieri announced a proposal, which would cut $9.3 million from the college's budget. The geology department, religion department and Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders could all be on the chopping block.

Kelsey Wallace, a UF graduate student, said the proposal outlined two outcomes for the communication sciences and disorders department - to be merged into the College fo Health and Human Performance or to be cut completely.

"Our program isn't more important than any other program," Wallace said. "The merger would be good for us but not a cut. I know cuts have to happen, but I want them to make sense."

Wallace said the CSD program helps veterans, stroke patients and those who suffer head injuries overcome speech problems, as well as children with speech impediments or dyslexia. Students also learn how to assist elderly with hearing problems in the audiology department. She added that the department has two nationally ranked programs, the speech pathology program is ranked No. 10 in the Association of American Universities and the audiology program is ranked No. 3.

Graduate student Kristy Lewandowski agreed and said she has a Wednesday meeting set up with D'Anieri to discuss the possible cut.

"We're not trying to attack him," she said. "We're just confused as to why we're on the top tier to be completely cut."

Wallace said Tuesday's goal to raise awareness was successful and felt the majority of students showed support.

"A lot of people understand what we're going through because a similar thing is happening to their program," she said.