Sunday, September 29, 2024

O Connell Center to host 18–hour Relay for Life event

This weekend the O'Connell Center won't be filled with Gator fans cheering for a sports team. Instead, it will house UF's fifth annual Relay for Life.

Relay for Life, a national fundraising event, which donates proceeds to the American Cancer Society to fund cancer research, will begin Friday at 6 p.m. and last until noon Saturday.

This 18-hour event honors people who have survived cancer and those who lost their fight with the disease, said David Rountree, UF's Relay for Life event chairman.

About 80 teams, made up of 10 to 15 people, were sponsored to walk the track in memory of those who fought cancer, Rountree said.

Rountree said UF raised about $105,000 last year, and expects to raise a similar amount this year, despite the economic downturn.

He said about $90,000 has already been raised, and fundraising efforts will continue during the event.

"Going into the school year I was worried the economy would affect our goal," he said, adding he was happy to see people still gave generously.

"People really dug into their pockets, and it's really exceeded my expectations," he said.

At this year's Relay, local bands, dance troupes and two comedians will be performing, as well as the UF competitive cheerleading squad and the Santa Fe College cheerleading squad.

The Luminaria ceremony will be held on Friday at 9 p.m. During this ceremony, candles are lit and placed inside bags bearing the names of those who have fought cancer. The bags are then placed along the track.

"[The ceremony is] to honor those who have fallen from cancer," Rountree said.