Friday, October 18, 2024

I received a bit of a gift in one of my classes last week, and I've been thanking the gods of absurdity ever since. On Monday, I had the pleasure of watching a debate on the proposed Charter Amendment 1. It was a slaughter and roused my latent political conscience.

Charter Amendment 1, for those who don't know, is a proposal which will remove Gainesville's abilities to pass its own discrimination categories - instead only those which are part of the Florida Civil Rights Act will apply. Unfortunately, while the Florida Civil Rights Act covers race, color, creed, religion, gender, national origin, age, handicap and marital and familial status, it conspicuously does not cover sexual orientation or gender identity. So, if Amendment 1 passes, discrimination protections will be removed from individuals falling into either of those two categories. And here I thought we were living in 2009, not 1959.

Essentially, the pro-amendment side makes two arguments in its defense, which I would like to present to you now.

The first point was that - in theory - the City of Gainesville could now make businesses build unisex bathrooms. This would conceivably cost these businesses money and, really, is there anything more important than that? Certainly not ensuring the equal protection of all our citizens. Except the appropriate representatives have already come forward and said that they were unable to find any business within Gainesville which they would force to do this. I guess the mere thought of them having this power is too much for the far right to stand. Oh, the Chamber of Commerce (which is anything besides a liberal consortium) has come out in opposition to Amendment 1. Now, unless President Barack Obama's creeping socialism has already had time to infiltrate the Gainesville Chamber of Commerce, I'm inclined to trust their judgment that the two extra categories of discrimination protection are not, as I keep hearing, "bad for business."

The second point, however, was my favorite. Apparently, what I and all those who are opposed to discrimination and Amendment 1 fail to realize is this: Adding sexual orientation and gender identity to the list of protected groups will - in point of fact - increase discrimination! How could we be this blind? See, here's the thing - and I'm paraphrasing a high-ranking member of a group which is supporting the amendment - if you add these categories, then why not add pregnant women and veterans? Then, the more groups you add, the more you leave off!

The bottom line is that a vote for Amendment 1 is - whether intentionally or not - a vote for discrimination. Even if LGBT protections were bad for business (they aren't) doesn't there come a time when a choice has to be made? I'm reminded of a quotation by the Clarence Darrow character in "Inherit the Wind": "A wicked law, like cholera, destroys everyone it touches - its upholders as well as its defiers."

I urge all of you to get out there and vote no on Amendment 1. You can vote either today or tomorrow at the Alachua Country Administration Building, 12 S.E. First St. There is no excuse for not making your voice heard on this issue.

This is Gainesville. This is our town. Let's make sure it belongs to all of us.

Eric Chianese is an English junior. His column appears weekly.