Monday, September 16, 2024

As Americans fumble around in the dark in an attempt to make sense of the economic mess we've found ourselves in, the country is searching for culprits so we can put our minds at ease. Those currently in the spotlight are none other than Ponzi schemer extraordinaire Bernard Lawrence Madoff and "those guys" over at AIG.

While AIG represents the irresponsibility and superfluous spending of the financial system, Madoff is the embodiment of unabashed greed and hubris. Blaming a handful of people won't do us any good, but we need someone to indict - what better way than to make examples of these wrongdoers?

The difference between Bernie Madoff and AIG is their reaction to being caught: while Madoff pleaded guilty, AIG decided to ask for a handout. This doesn't mean that Madoff's move wasn't calculated, and it does not relieve him from any of the blame. Even after admitting guilt, Madoff refuses to give the government dirt on anyone else involved.

There's nothing I love more than hearing the very person who swindled me out of my life savings give a mock-heartfelt mea culpa. If he sheds a tear or two, it's just an added bonus, just because I love a good actor.

Madoff's "apology" was disingenuous, self-serving and ignorant and did nothing more than add fuel to the fire. The only thing he is truly sorry for is getting caught. I half expected him to mutter the words "and I would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for these meddling investigators!"

Good on you, Bernie. You're still playing the role of villain we expect you to play. Claiming you did it by yourself? Brilliant, you 70-year-old menace!

We are Americans, and if you hurt us, we will hurt you right back. We live for sure and swift judgment. It makes it easier for us to sleep at night knowing justice is being served - but if this is the case, why are people like many of the AIG executives still in the same positions they held before they basically drove the company into the ground?

Chances are that when AIG's management does finally surrender and apologize to the American public, we'll have our angry mobs gathered, armed and ready to shout at the top of our lungs that the apology just isn't enough.

The outrage we feel is fleeting, and we're a fickle bunch. Today we're sharpening our pitchforks and readying the rack for the bigwigs at AIG and anybody in cahoots with Madoff. We can only guess who will be on the chopping block tomorrow.

Whoever it is, you'd better believe the people at MSNBC and FOX News will let us know, keeping us up-to-date on all things related to the failure of our economy. Turn your television to any of the 24-hour news networks and you'll be blasted with constant updates on our failing economy - just in case you may have forgotten.

The issue is much bigger than Madoff, and it is even larger than the AIG notables. We can call shenanigans on many of the small players, but until we look at the big picture - and not just in minute-long segments scattered throughout the day - nothing will be fixed.

Naudia Jawad is a journalism graduate student. Her column appears on Wednesdays.