Monday, September 16, 2024

Not many things are quite as impressive as the Snuggie - the blanket with sleeves that "won't slip and slide like a regular blanket."

After hearing of this wondrous item, my life was forever changed. Who would have thought that taking a robe, making it longer and wearing it backwards would be so ingenious and so lucrative?

More than four million of these miracle items have been sold, liberating arms from the imprisoning confines of oppressive blankets all over the country. At $19.95 a pair (plus shipping and handling,) this bastard child between a blanket and a sweatshirt is one of the best-selling novelty items of the winter.

For those with more expensive tastes, there is the Slanket at $44.99. For those who want to splurge even more, look no further. The Blankoat from Iceland-based designer Sruli Recht will set buyers back a whopping $350 - all for the Snuggie's more avant-garde cousin. Made out of Icelandic wool, the pedigreed Blankoat makes the Snuggie look like a mutt.

Therein lies the charm of the Snuggie. The campy infomercial that plagues prime-time television is just so hideous that it is amazing. In a time of economic downturn, as the infomercial points out, people are turning down their thermostats and reaching for fleece alternatives. Praise be to the failing economy for giving us the chance to bring these blankets with sleeves into our homes.

There is even an LED light included for when the electric company cuts off your power.

The slow economy is also to thank for the mass exposure to items like the Snuggie and the superabsorbent ShamWow!, the German-created towel that will dry a sweater faster than Marty McFly's self-drying jacket from the year 2015. Because of plummeting prices for airtime, the marketers of these kitschy products swooped in and have taken advertising spots that used to be reserved for more highbrow items.

The Snuggie has made many appearances in the morning news circuit, including NBC's "Today Show," in which the whole cast and crew donned Snuggies on-air. One would think that all of this fame would go to the Snuggie's head. Quite the contrary, this fleece delight is as humble as ever.

Wait, there's an idea! Add a hood to the Snuggie!

It does not look like the Snuggie era is coming to an end any time soon, either. The infomercials have made it to YouTube and have spawned quite a few parodies, "The Cult of Snuggie" and "The WTF Blanket" included. Pop culture has embraced the Snuggie and made it more popular than its makers could have ever hoped for.

Yes, those wearing Snuggies may look absolutely ridiculous, but they also look surprisingly happy. There is something almost touching about a product that can promise you total comfort in a time when people are worried for their futures. Perhaps the Snuggie is selling more than just a blanket replacement.

And if you happen to tear your Snuggie, Billy Mays - an apparent long-time sufferer of the dreaded voice immodulation disorder - has the perfect answer in the machine-washable Mighty Mendit bonding agent.

Thank you, Billy Mays. Now we can keep our Snuggies forever!

Naudia Jawad is a journalism graduate student. Her column appears on Wednesday.