Sunday, September 29, 2024

The Reitz Union will soon undergo a makeover to become greener and more energy efficient, after Tuesday night's Senate meeting.

After about 30 minutes of debate, senators passed a bill giving the Reitz Union $35,000, which will be used to replace its current fluorescent bulbs and lighting fixtures with newer, more energy-efficient lighting.

Chairman for the Reitz Union Board of Managers and UF student Josh Krivisky stopped by and encouraged senators to pass the bill.

"It would decrease the energy and utility costs," he said, adding the board would be able to pay back the money in nine to 14 months.

"(The bill) had been in the works for some time, but it had been put off because of more pressing maintenance issues," Krivisky said, referring to the Reitz Union's aging infrastructure, which has included broken pipes and a broken air chiller.

Independent Party Sen. Cynthia Kan, who presented the bill, said renovations would take about two months, and the new lights would save a projected $44,000 per year.

However, some Orange and Blue Party members took issue with the bill, which did not separately address the lighting in the Reitz Union's art gallery.

Orange and Blue Sen. Sam Miorelli, who represents students living in District D, said the gallery may need special lighting in order for the art to be viewed properly.

"This is no trivial matter," Miorelli said.

After some debate, an amendment was added, saying the art gallery's director must be consulted before any renovations are made.

After the amendment was added, the bill passed unanimously.

Senators also voted on two candidates to fill a vacant seat on Senate's Replacement and Agenda committee, which sets the agenda for the weekly meetings and interviews candidates for unfilled Senate seats.

The seat became vacant after Gator Party Sen. Cecil Duffie was suspended due to too many Senate absences.

Gator Party Sen. Shire Patel and Orange and Blue Party Sen. Stacey Gray both vied for the open seat, each having a turn to state their qualifications and answer questions from the senators.

After a vote of 46 to 21, Patel was appointed to the seat.