Sunday, September 29, 2024

Former Miss Florida speaks about eating disorders

A former Miss Florida and UF alumna spoke about her struggles with an eating disorder to about 30 students and faculty Wednesday night on the Plaza of the Americas.

UF's first "Lights of Hope" candle-lighting ceremony was held in honor of National Eating Disorders Awareness Week 2009. People listened to speeches and stories from those who are or have been struggling and lit candles in memory of those who have passed away and in honor of those still fighting.

Allison L. Kreiger, president and founder of H.O.P.E - Helping Other People Eat - as well as Miss Florida 2006, was the keynote speaker for the night's event and detailed her struggle with the disease and her road to recovery.

"My eating disorder was nothing about me losing weight," she told the group. "I felt like I had lost control of my life and my feelings were transferred into the disorder."

Kreiger said that as a young girl she was always in a competitive environment because she was a baton twirler and was constantly practicing. When high school came around, she became frustrated and realized that she wanted to be a "normal" kid with a social life.

"I came home from the gym one day and I didn't mean to throw up, but I did, and it made me feel better," she said. "Eventually, I would only eat to get sick because it made me feel better in my mind - it became an addiction."

When Kreiger realized that she couldn't focus and that she had lost her endurance in the gym, she approached her parents and told them about her problem. She was disappointed, however, when they didn't know what to do about the situation. After a few months, she tried again and this time, they were prepared.

"I was terrified that I wouldn't be around the next day," she said. "I realized how precious life was, and that was the pivotal point."

Kreiger was taken to an outpatient facility to receive treatment. When she arrived at UF as a freshman, she went straight to the Student Health Care Center and began helping others.

Her efforts grew and eventually became her platform for the Miss America competition, she said.

"It's one of the best feelings - even if it's just having a shoulder to cry on - to be that means of saving lives," she said. "I feel fortunate to still be around to fulfill that bigger purpose in life."

After her speech, the group formed a circle and lit purple candles.

"With each candle flame, we remember," said Dr. Lisa J. Merlo, assistant professor at UF's psychiatry department. "We light to guide us toward a better tomorrow."

Once the candles were burning, guests had a chance to share their stories, or the story of someone they knew. The crowd was timid at first, but after sophomore Katie Popeil told her story, others were willing to as well.

Popeil, who has had her disorder for about four years, said she's been in recovery for about six months.

"Hearing Allison's story made me confident that I can achieve recovery and live the life I've wanted," she said. "If you're struggling, reach out. I waited a long time, and I'm having a harder time recovering because I was so wrapped up in it."