Friday, October 18, 2024

I refuse to do it.

This "25 things about me" list has taken over Facebook with everyone and their mother writing about themselves and tagging me.

Do these people think I want to know if they are addicted to www.icanhascheezburger.com? Wonder no more. I didn't.

Why do people feel the need to share things about themselves? Are they looking for admiration, a pat on the back, what?

I refuse to relent simply because they feel like they need a spotlight. Don't tag me if you're looking for an audience.

The whole idea is egotistical. I've been told that people just want to share themselves with others, but they really just want the attention.

That's what it's all about and I refuse to acknowledge anyone's "me list."

So, to the people who have participated in this facebook phenomenon: If people want to get to know you, they will. If you wrote this list because you felt like no one was interested in your life, take a hint; maybe your life isn't interesting.

Interesting people don't have to advertise that they're interesting. Maybe you should pick up a hobby or join a club. Maybe you should invest in other people. That's a novel idea. Tagging people and obligating them to comment doesn't count.

If you really crave attention, feedback or whatever, become another Mother Teresa. Do something productive and worthwhile with your time instead of devoting it to something about you. Why can't we write lists about each other?

We all spend enough time on ourselves. Why are we creating lists about ourselves?

I can't wrap my mind around the idea. Who do you think is going to read it? I've read two of them and I stopped less than a quarter of the way through out of boredom.

I asked one friend why she did it, and she said, "Well I had to sound just as good as everyone else." Why? Who are these people that you have to build yourself up for?

What happened to actions speaking louder than words? I determine the character of a person based on what they do rather than what is said or written about them.

Every one of us is unique and has a lot more than this "25 things about me" list can offer. We need to take the focus off ourselves and shift it to the person next to us. Focus on the person who needs a friend or the person who dropped their books and needs help picking them up. Focus on anything but yourself.

Our world accommodates far too much "me" thinking, and it has been to our detriment. We are consumed with ourselves and have forgotten how far helping others can reach. The 45 minutes you spent writing your "you list" could have been spent volunteering at the St. Francis House or writing a letter to your local firefighters thanking them for their tireless efforts.

You could have made a difference with that time. I encourage you to think about that the next time you get tagged in one of those "you lists."

Michelle A. Hipps is a telecommunications senior. Her column appears weekly.