Sunday, September 29, 2024

Students have skateboarded to class for years without much trouble, but that all changed Wednesday as the University Police Department conducted a "saturation detail," targeting skateboarders and pulling them over if they were skating on the street.

Four motorcycle officers, four officers on bicycles and a canine unit were out in shifts from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. to educate students about Florida's skateboarding law, said UPD Lt. Stacy Ettel.

The statute makes it illegal to skateboard or roller skate on roads or in bike lanes, though crosswalks are fair game.

Because many students are unfamiliar with the law, officers gave warnings to students who had never been ticketed for the offense before, Ettel said.

UPD planned to ticket anyone with a prior offense. Tickets carry a $52.50 fine.

The department will be conducting saturation details every Wednesday where it focuses on a specific issue like seatbelts or helmets for scooter riders, Ettel said.

Skateboarding was the first focus of the semester, he said.

Over the years, skateboarders on campus have run into pedestrians and vehicles and also injured themselves on steep hills, he said.

The number of people on campus makes skateboarders a hazard to themselves and others, he said.

"It's just congested and something has to be done," he said.

Ettel said skateboarders stopped on Wednesday had no idea the law existed.

Ryan Hance, a UF psychology junior who received a warning for skateboarding Wednesday, said he disagrees with the law.

"I think the law's pretty ridiculous. I don't see why a bike can ride in the road and a skateboard can't," he said.

He said he has skateboarded to class ever since he came to UF and never had any problems until Wednesday.

He said the officer who pulled him over told him he could ride on the sidewalk instead.

"I was like, 'Well, the sidewalks are pretty packed,' and he's like, 'Well, looks like you're gonna have to walk then,'" he said.

Ettel said he understands Hance's concern, but thinks the roads aren't any better.

"The roadways are just as crowded with the amount of vehicles, scooters, motorcycles, state vehicles (and) police vehicles," he said.