Sunday, September 29, 2024

For the second time in UF's history, a member of Student Government's executive branch will face getting the boot.

A resolution to impeach Student Body President Kevin Reilly was filed last Thursday by five senators of SG's minority party- the Orange and Blue Party.

Today the 46 senators elected last fall will meet at Hillel at 6 p.m. to vote on the issue. A two-thirds vote is required to suspend Reilly from office.

Removing him from the position would require a subsequent trial and a three-fourths vote from senators elected in spring.

Orange and Blue Party Sen. Sam Miorelli, co-authored the resolution.

"The charges that we make are simply irrefutable," Miorelli said.

The three-page resolution stacks six allegations against Reilly, including violations of Student Body statutes and last semester's e-mails scandal.

Reilly was one of four SG officials who exchanged private e-mails in May discussing appointments and how to keep the Orange and Blue Party out of Senate committees.

"Obviously, that's the first thing on the list," Miorelli said.

But Reilly said the resolution's claims are "absolutely not" valid enough to warrant impeachment.

Poring through the document, Reilly poked holes in the allegations and said his involvement in the e-mail scandal did not violate Florida's Sunshine Law.

While he admitted to conducting public business privately, he maintained that his role in the e-mails was merely advisory.

"I don't have any influence on the committee," he said. "No more than any other person that would recommend people."

Ten of the 12 applicants that Reilly recommended became senators, according to Student Senate archives.

This is the second time the Orange and Blue Party has filed a resolution for impeachment, the first instance over the summer and against Student Body Treasurer Paul Drayton.

Miorelli said the party was conflicted about how to act concerning Reilly.

But Senate President Jordan Johnson of the Gator Party felt the call for Reilly's impeachment was a publicity stunt.

"This stuff, the last time we heard about it was the last campaign," he said. "I don't think there's any doubt as to the motives."