Sunday, September 29, 2024

With Student Government elections less than a month away, parties will begin interviewing potential student senators today.

There are five registered parties: Progress, Gator, Unite, Keg and Orange and Blue. They will interview and meet interested students from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in room 284 of the Reitz Union.

Interviewing will also continue on Monday and Tuesday. Students must bring their Gator 1 Cards to qualify.

The Swamp Party, the LAN Party and the Gator Party could not be reached for comment. The Change Party will not participate, said Patrick Duffey, party president.

Each party can register 50 candidates to fill the Senate seats that represent colleges of UF, according to Supervisor of Elections Dan Siegel.

He said students can interview with as many parties as they would like.

Despite differing names, most party presidents spoke of searching for candidates that bring unity and change.

Orange and Blue Party President Donte Hargrove said applicants should bring ideas and suggestions to improve SG and UF.

"We're interested in students that want to make the school better than when they got here," he said.

Meanwhile, Progress Party President Josh Simmons said students should dress to impress when coming to an interview.

"Dressing nice never hurts," he said, adding it can give the candidate a leg up.

Unite Party President Will Harrell said students should bring their resumes.

"We're looking for qualified and capable students," he said. "And I think we will be able to find that in the next few days."