Monday, September 30, 2024

Vox: Voices for Planned Parenthood hosts annual Sex on the Lawn event

One UF sophomore regained his title Wednesday as the second annual condom race winner.

JR Miller participated and placed first in a condom race at the annual Sex on the Lawn event, a sexual-health education fair presented by Vox: Voices for Planned Parenthood.

The event, which is held every fall, took place on the Reitz Union North Lawn and featured free food, games and prizes. The Reitz Union also offered free HIV testing.

Games such as condom races drew students to the tables. Students put on blindfolds and competed to see who could unwrap a condom and put it on a fake penis the fastest.

There are a surprising number of guys who don't know how to put on a condom, said Jeanette Josaphat, a UF sophomore and Vox member.

"When you're trying to get it on, it's usually in the dark," Josaphat said. "The race builds the anxiety."

Near the tables, a group of about seven students stood protesting the event, holding anti-abortion signs picturing bloody fetuses.

"We just want to bring awareness that Planned Parenthood is not just about rainbows and butterflies and happy things," said Anders Bergmann, a UF integrated biology senior.

"I don't think such lewd things should be put out in the open," Bergmann said.

The event's goal was to encourage safe sex, said Maggie Von Dolteren, Vox secretary and UF political science senior.

"We want to let students know what resources are available at the university," she said.

She said the games were intended to help people feel comfortable asking about sexual health.

"If you don't know how to put on a condom and are too embarrassed to ask, the effectiveness of the condom goes down," Dolteren said.