Monday, September 30, 2024

UF students compete with rival Tennessee in blood drive

For students who donate blood, the idea that they could save a person's life is satisfying enough, but UF freshman Giovanni Oliva feels he has made more of an impact than usual.

"I want us to win," Oliva said. "Every person counts."

Oliva is one of the donors in a competition between UF and the University of Tennessee that expands their rivalry beyond sports. For the third straight year, the two schools are competing to get the most students to donate blood in a week.

Tennessee beat UF by a wide margin the first two years of the competition, but this year, things may change.

As of Thursday night, UF took the lead over Tennessee, 1,147 to 1,116.

Life South Community Blood Centers, the sole supplier of blood for all hospitals within the Gainesville region, is doing everything it can to encourage students to donate. Donors receive free snacks, drinks and a T-shirt that reads "I Bleed Orange and Blue."

Emphasizing Tennessee's past domination in the competition may be having an impact. This week is one of Life South's best of the year.

"This is a very competitive drive," said Laura Gale Bialeck, a donor recruiter for Life South.. "There's definitely an interest in where we are in the competition."

Just the words "versus Tennessee" have more students willing to help.

"I want to beat Tennessee any way possible," said Marissa Gainsburg, a UF freshman.

Matthew Howland, a UF history senior, said the drive against Tennessee "definitely encouraged me to donate."

Bialeck stood outside the Broward Dining Center Wednesday to let passersby know the importance of donating blood.

She said that only 10 percent of people who are eligible to donate blood actually do so.

"If we could raise that percentage by one or two points, it would make a difference," she said.

Unfortunately, UF doesn't play a long-time rival every week, she said.

Bialeck said she's seen a dramatic difference in the number of student contributors.

With two more days left in the drive, Life South expects a close finish.

Friday is the last day for students to donate. Bialeck said that the drive's results could be tallied as early as late that afternoon.